Logical Reasoning previous years questions (CAT) - Set 0019
Previous years`s CAT questions: Logical Reasoning
Post your solutions as reply to respective questions below.
Five friends meet every morning at Sree Sagar restaurant for an idli-vada breakfast. Each consumes a different number of idlis and vadas. The number of idlis consumed are 1, 4, 5, 6, and 8, while the number of vadas consumed are 0, 1, 2, 4, and 6. Below are some more facts about who eats what and how much.
i. The number of vadas eaten by Ignesh is three times the number of vadas consumed by the person who eats four idlis.
ii. Three persons, including the one who eats four vadas eat without chutney.
iii. Sandeep does not take any chutney.
iv. The one who eats one idli a day does not eat any vadas or chutney. Further, he is not Mukesh.
v. Daljit eats idli with chutney and also eats vada.
vi. Mukesh, who does not take chutney, eats half as many vadas as the person who eats twice as many idlis as he does.
vii. Bimal eats two more idlis than Ignesh, but Ignesh eats two more vadas than Bimal.
1. Which one of the following statements is true?
1. Daljit eats 5 idlis
2. Ignesh eats 8 idlis
3. Bimal eats 1 idli.
4. Bimal eats 6 idlis.
2. Which of the following statements is true?
1. Sandeep eats 2 vadas.
2. Mukesh eats 4 vadas.
3. Ignesh eats 6 vadas.
4. Bimal eats 2 vadas.
3. Which of the following statements is true?
1. Mukesh eats 8 idlis and 4 vadas but no chutney.
2. The person who eats 5 idlis and 1 vada does not take chutney.
3. The person who eats equal number of vadas and idlis also takes chutney.
4. The person who eats 4 idlis and 2 vadas also takes chutney. ( CAT 2003 Leaked )
Answer: Option 1 Option 3 Option 3
Five women decided to go shopping to M.G. Road, Bangalore. They arrived at the designated meeting place in the following order:
1. Archana 2. Chellamma 3. Dhenuka 4. Helen and 5. Shahnaz.
Each woman spent at least Rs. 1000. Below are some additional facts about how much they spent during their shopping spree.
i. The woman who spent Rs. 2234 arrived before the lady who spent Rs. 1193.
ii. One woman spent Rs. 1340 and she was not Dhenuka.
iii. One woman spent Rs. 1378 more than Chellamma.
iv. One woman spent Rs. 2517 and she was not Archana.
v. Helen spent more than Dhenuka.
vi. Shahnaz spent the largest amount and Chellamma the smallest.
1. What was the amount spent by Helen?
1. Rs. 1193
2. Rs. 1340
3. Rs. 2234
4. Rs. 2517
2. Which of the following amounts was spent by one of them?
1. Rs. 1139
2. Rs. 1378
3. Rs. 2571
4. Rs. 2718
3. The woman who spent Rs. 1193 is
4. Helen ( CAT 2003 Leaked )
Answer: Option 2 Option 1 Option 3
Some children were taking free throws at the basketball court in school during lunch break. Below are some facts about how many baskets these children shot.
i. Ganesh shot 8 baskets less than Ashish.
ii. Dhanraj and Ramesh together shot 37 baskets.
iii. Jugraj shot 8 baskets more than Dhanraj.
iv. Ashish shot 5 baskets more than Dhanraj.
v. Ashish and Ganesh together shot 40 baskets.
1. Which of the following statements is true?
1. Ramesh shot 18 baskets and Dhanraj shot 19 baskets.
2. Ganesh shot 24 baskets and Ashish shot 16 baskets.
3. Jugraj shot 19 baskets and Dhanraj shot 27 baskets.
4. Dhanraj shot 11 baskets and Ashish shot 16 baskets.
2. Which of the following statements is true?
1. Dhanraj and Jugraj together shot 46 baskets.
2. Ganesh shot 18 baskets and Ramesh shot 21 baskets.
3. Dhanraj shot 3 more baskets than Ramesh.
4. Ramesh and Jugraj together shot 29 baskets ( CAT 2003 Leaked )
Answer: Option 1 Option 1
The Head of a newly formed government desires to appoint five of the six elected members A, B, C, D, E and F to portfolios of Home, Power, Defence, Telecom and Finance. F does not want any portfolio if D gets one of the five. C wants either Home or Finance or no portfolio. B says that if D gets either Power or Telecom then she must get the other one. E insists on a portfolio if A gets one.
1. Which is a valid assignment?
1. A-Home, B-Power, C-Defence, D-Telecom, E-Finance.
2. C-Home, D-Power, A-Defence, B-Telecom, E-Finance.
3. A-Home, B-Power, E-Defence, D-Telecom, F-Finance.
4. B-Home, F-Power, E-Defence, C-Telecom, A-Finance.
2. If A gets Home and C gets Finance, then which is NOT a valid assignment of Defense and Telecom?
1. D-Defence, B-Telecom.
2. F-Defence, B-Telecom.
3. B-Defence, E-Telecom.
4. B-Defence, D-Telecom. ( CAT 2003 Leaked )
Answer: Option 2 Option 4
Six persons are playing a card game. Suresh is facing Raghubir who is to the left of Ajay and to the right of Pramod. Ajay is to the left of Dhiraj. Yogendra is to the left of Pramod. If Dhiraj exchanges his seat with Yogendra and Pramod exchanges with Raghubir, who will be sitting to the left of Dhiraj?
4. Ajay ( CAT 2002 )
Answer: Option 3