Logical Reasoning previous years questions (CAT) - Set 0017

• Content & PR team - MBAtious

Previous years`s CAT questions: Logical Reasoning

Post your solutions as reply to respective questions below.

Question 1

Ghosh Babu deposited a certain sum of money in a bank in 1986. The bank calculated interest on the principal at 10 percent simple interest, and credited it to the account once a year. After the 1st year, Ghosh Babu withdrew the entire interest and 20% of the initial amount. After the 2nd year, he withdrew the interest and 50% of the remaining amount. After the 3rd year, he withdrew the interest and 50% of the remaining amount. Finally after the 4th year, Ghosh Babu closed the account and collected the entire balance of Rs. 11,000.

1. The initial amount in rupees, deposited by Ghosh Babu was:

(a) 25,000
    (b) 75,000
    (c) 50,000
    (d) None of these

2. The year, at the end of which, Ghosh Babu withdrew the smallest amount was:

(a) First
    (b) Second
    (c) Third
    (d) Fourth

3. The year, at the end of which, Ghosh Babu collected the maximum interest was:

(a) First
    (b) Second
    (c) Third
    (d) Fourth

4. The year, at the end of which, Ghosh Babu withdrew the maximum amount was:

(a) First
    (b) Second
    (c) Third
    (d) Fourth

5. The total interest, in rupees, collected by Ghosh Babu was:

(a) 12,000
    (b) 20,000
    (c) 4,000
    (d) 11,000
                                                                    ( CAT 1991 )

Answer: Option C Option D Option A Option B Option A

Question 2

Prakash has to decide whether or not to test a batch of 1000 widgets before sending them to the buyer. In case he decides to test, he has two options: (a) Use test I ; (b) Use test II. Test I cost Rs. 2 per widget. However, the test is not perfect. It sends 20% of the bad ones to the buyer as good. Test II costs Rs. 3 per widget. It brings out all the bad ones. A defective widget identified before sending can be corrected at a cost of Rs. 25 per widget. All defective widgets are identified at the buyer’s end and penalty of Rs. 50 per defective widget has to be paid by Prakash.

1. Prakash should not test if the number of bad widgets in the lot is:

(a) less than 100
    (b) more than 200
    (c) between 120 & 190
    (d) Cannot be found out.

2. If there are 120 defective widgets in the lot, Prakash:

(a) should either use Test I or not test.
    (b) should either use Test II or not test.
    (c) should use Test I or Test II.
    (d) should use Test I only.

3. If the number of defective widgets in the lot is between 200 and 400, Prakash:

(a) may use Test I or Test II
    (b) should use Test I only.
    (c) should use Test II only
    (d) cannot decide.

4. If Prakash is told that the lot has 160 defective widgets, he should:

(a) use Test I only
    (b) use Test II only.
    (c) do no testing.
    (d) either use Test I or do not test.

5. If there are 200 defective widgets in the lot, Prakash:

(a) may use either Test I or Test II
    (b) should use Test I or not use any test
    (c) should use Test II or not use any test.
    (d) cannot decide.
                                                                  ( CAT 1991 )

Answer: Option A Option D Option C Option A Option A

Question 3

In a game played by two people there were initially N match sticks kept on the table. A move in the game consists of a player removing either one or two matchsticks from the table. The one who takes the last matchstick loses. Players make moves alternately. The player who will make the first move is A. The other player is B.

1. The smallest value of N (greater than 5) that ensures a win for B is

(a) 7
    (b) 6
    (c) 10
    (d) 8

2. The largest of N (less than 50) that ensures a win for B is

(a) 46
    (b) 47
    (c) 48
    (d) 49                                                                 ( CAT 1990 )

Answer: Option A Option D

Question 4

A dealer deals only in colour TVs and VCRs. He wants to spend up to Rs.12 lakhs to buy 100 pieces. He can purchase a colour TV at Rs.10,000 and a VCR at Rs.15,000. He can sell a colour TV at Rs.12,000 and a VCR at Rs.17,500. His objective is to maximize profits. Assume that he can sell all the items that he stocks.

1. For the maximum profit, the number of colour TVs and VCRs that he should respectively stock are

(a) 80, 20
    (b) 20, 80
    (c) 60, 40
    (d) None of these

2. If the dealer would have managed to get an additional space to stock 20 more items, then for maximizing profit, the ratio of number of VCRs and number of TVs that he should stock is

(a) 7 : 3
    (b) 0
    (c) 1 : 2
    (d) None of these

3. The maximum profit, in rupees lakh, the dealer can earn from his original stock if he can sell a colour TV at Rs. 12200 and VCR at Rs.18300 is

(a) 2.64
    (b) 2.49
    (c) 2.72
    (d) 2.87                                                               ( CAT 1990 )

Answer: Option C Option B Option A

Question 5

Ghosh Babu has a certain amount of property consisting of cash, gold coins and silver bars. The cost of a gold coin is Rs. 4000 and the cost of a silver bar is Rs. 1000. Ghosh Babu distributed his property among his daughters equally. He gave to his eldest daughter gold coins worth 20% of the total property and Rs. 25000 in cash. The second daughter was given silver bars worth 20% of the remaining property and Rs. 50000 cash. He then gave each of the third and fourth daughters equal number of gold coins and silver bars both together accounting each for 20% of the property remaining after the previous distribution and Rs. 25000 more than what the second daughter had received in cash.

1. The amount of property in gold and silver possessed by Ghosh Babu is

(a) 2,25,000
    (b) 2,75,000
    (c) Rs. 4,25,000
    (d) None of these

2. Total property of Ghosh Babu (in Rs.lakh) is

(a) 5.0
    (b) 7.5
    (c) 10.0
    (d) 12.5.

3. If Ghosh Babu had equal number of gold and silver bars, the number of silver bars he has is
    (a) 90
    (b) 60
    (c) 75
    (d) 55
                          ( CAT 1990 )

Answer: Option B Option A Option D

Looks like your connection to MBAtious was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.