Logical Reasoning previous years questions (CAT) - Set 0002

• Content & PR team - MBAtious

Previous years`s CAT questions: Logical Reasoning

Post your solutions as reply to respective questions below.

Question 1

Four friends Ashok, Bashir, Chirag and Deepak are out shopping. Ashok has less money than three times the amount that Bashir has. Chirag has more money than Bashir. Deepak has an amount equal to the difference of amounts with Bashir and Chirag. Ashok has three times the money with Deepak. They each have to buy at least one shirt, or one shawl, or one sweater, or one jacket, that are priced Rs 200, Rs 400, Rs 600 and Rs 1000 apiece, respectively. Chirag borrows Rs 300 from Ashok and buys a jacket. Bashir buys a sweater after borrowing Rs 100 from Ashok and is left with no money. Ashok buys three shirts. What is the costliest item that Deepak could buy with his own money?

(a) A shirt

(b) A shawl

(c) A sweater

(d) A jacket                 (CAT 2001)

Answer: Option b

Question 2

In a family gathering there are two males who are grandfathers and four males who are fathers. In the same gathering there are two females who are grandmothers and four females who are mothers. There is at least one grandson or a grand-daughter present in this gathering. There are two husband-wife pairs in this group. These can either be a grandfather and a grandmother, or a father and a mother. The single grandfather (whose wife is not present) has two grandsons and a son present. The single grandmother (whose husband is not present) has two grand-daughters and a daughter present. A grandfather or a grandmother present with their spouses does not have any grandson or grand-daughter present. What is the minimum number of people present in this gathering?

(a) 10

(b) 12

(c) 14

(d) 16       (CAT 2001)

Question 3

Eight people carrying food baskets are going for a picnic on motorcycles. Their names are A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H. They have four motorcycles M1, M2, M3 and M4 among them. They also have four food baskets O, P, Q and R of different size and shapes and which can be carried only on motorcycles M1, M2, M3 or M4 respectively. No more than two persons can travel on a motorcycle and no more than one basket can be carried on a motorcycle. There are two husband-wife pairs in this group of eight people and each pair will ride on a motorcycle together. C cannot travel with A or B. E cannot travel with B or F. G cannot travel with F, or H, or D. The husband-wife pairs must carry baskets O and P. Q is with A and P is with D. F travels on M1 and E travels on M2 motorcycles. G is with Q and B cannot go with R. Who is travelling with H?

(a) A

(b) B

(c) C

(d) D       

(CAT 2001)

Answer: Option c

Question 4

I have a total of Rs 1000. Item A costs Rs 110, item B costs Rs 90, item C costs Rs 70, item D costs Rs 40 and item E costs Rs 45. For every item D that I purchase, I must also buy two of item B. For every item A, I must buy one of item C. For every item E, I must also buy two of item D and one of item B. For every time purchased I earn 1000 points and for every rupee not spent I earn a penalty of 150 points. My objective is to maximize the points I earn. What is the number of items that I must purchase to maximize my points?

(a) 13

(b) 14

(c) 15

(d) 16       (CAT 2001)

Question 5

On her walk through the park, Hamsa collected 50 colored leaves, all either maple or oak. She sorted them by category when she got home, and found the following:

• The number of red oak leaves with spots is even and positive.
    • The number of red oak leaves without any spot equals the number of red maple leaves without spots. All non-red oak leaves have spots, and there are five times as many of them as there are red spotted oak leaves.
    • There are no spotted maple leaves that are not red.
    • There are exactly 6 red spotted maple leaves.
    • There are exactly 22 maple leaves that are neither spotted nor red.
    • How many oak leaves did she collect?

(a) 22

(b) 17

(c) 25

(d) 18              (CAT 2001)

Looks like your connection to MBAtious was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.