Data Interpretation Capsules - Edwin Jose, CAT DILR 100 Percentiler - Set 9

• Content & PR team - MBAtious

Directions: Answer the questions on the basis of the information given below. The following table shows the sales figures of the four brands of laptops - HP, Compaq, IBM and Sony in the various regions of the world. The figures are given either in absolute numbers or as percentage of the total sales in the region. Assume that no other brand of laptops is present in the given regions. Based on the given table, answer the questions that follow.

0_1488695006386_di091.png

(1) What is the total number of laptops sold by IBM across all the regions combined?
    (a) 7431
    (b) 12680
    (c) 8451
    (d) 7831

(2) The ratio of laptops sold in South Asia, West Africa and East Europe is
    (a) 3 : 6 : 1
    (b) 3 : 6 : 2
    (c) 6 : 3 : 1
    (d) 3 : 2 : 1

(3) Which of the following options is/are true?
    I. Total sales of Laptops in South America is 3000 units.
    II. Sales of IBM in East Africa is 25% more than sales of HP in West Africa.
    III. The ratio of sales of Compaq in North America to the sales in South America is 3 : 7.
    (a) Only I
    (b) I and II
    (c) I and III
    (d) II and III

Solution:

0_1488695123271_di092.png

(1) Option A

(2) Option C
    Total sales in South Asia = 9000 units
    Total sales in West Africa = 4500 units
    Total sales in East Europe = 1500 units
    Hence, the required ratio is 6: 3: 1.

(3) Option C
    Statement I:
    Total sales of Laptops in South America will be the sum of sales of HP, Compaq, IBM and Sony which is equal to 3000 units.
    So statement I is correct.
    Statement II:
    Sales of IBM in East Africa = 517 units
    Sales of HP in West Africa = 180 units
    Thus it is not 25% more. So statement II is incorrect.
    Statement III:
    Sales of Compaq in North America = 540 units
    Sales of Compaq in South America = 1260 units
    Ratio = 3 : 7. So statement III is correct.

Directions: Answer the questions on the basis of the information given below.

The bar graph given below shows the marks obtained by five students - Anup, Himanshu, Sudip, Vishal and Rohan in three subjects - Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The five students are disguised as S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5, in no particular order. Rohan’s total score in all the three subjects combined was 4 marks more than that of Himanshu. Anup obtained 50 marks in Chemistry.

0_1488695190358_di093.png

(1) Who is disguised as S3?
    (a) Himanshu
    (b) Vishal
    (c) Sudip
    (d) Cannot be determined

(2) Given below are two Statements based on the data provided in the question. Choose the most appropriate option.
    I. Sudip obtained the lowest marks in Chemistry among the five students.
    II. Himanshu’s total score in all the three subjects combined was more than that of Sudip.
    (a) If Statement I is true, then Statement II is definitely true.
    (b) If Statement II is true, then Statement I is definitely true.
    (c) If Statement I is false, then Statement II is definitely false.
    (d) None of the above options is correct.

(3) Given below are two statements based on the data provided in the question. Choose the most appropriate option.
    I. Himanshu obtained the highest marks in Mathematics among the five students.
    II. Rohan’s total score in all the three subjects combined was the highest.
    (a) If Statement I is true, then Statement II is definitely true.
    (b) If Statement II is true, then Statement I is definitely false.
    (c) If Statement I is false, then Statement II is definitely true.
    (d) More than one of the above options are correct.

Solution:

Total marks obtained by S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5 are 148, 125, 121, 144 and 127 respectively. As Anup obtained 50 marks in Chemistry, he can be disguised either as S1 or S2. Rohan can either be disguised as S1 or S2 and accordingly Himanshu must be disguised as either S4 or S3.

Based on the given data, we arrive at the following cases.

0_1488695292789_di094.png

(1) Option D
    It is clear from the above table that one of Himanshu, Vishal or Sudip is disguised as S3.

(2) Option D
    Let us consider all the options one by one.
    (i) If statement I is true then Sudip must be disguised as S5 and his total score in all three subjects must be 127. Subsequently from Case I and Case III, Himanshu can be disguised as either S3 or S4. Hence, Himanshu’s total score will be either 121 or 144.
    Therefore we cannot say that statement II is definitely true.
    (ii) If statement II is true then Himanshu, as his score cannot be the lowest, must be disguised as S4. Now, Sudip must be disguised as either S3 or S5. Hence, Sudip’s score in chemistry is either 43 or 36.
    Therefore we cannot say that statement I is definitely true.
    (iii) If statement I is false then Sudip must be disguised
    as either S3 or S4.
    Now, if Sudip has been disguised as S3 then Himanshu must be S4 (Case IV) and his total score (144) will be more than that of Sudip (121).
    But if Sudip has been disguised as S4 then Himanshu must be S3 (Case II) and his total score (121) will be less than that of Sudip (144).
    Therefore we cannot say that statement II is definitely false.

(3) Option A
    Himanshu obtained the highest marks in Mathematics. If we assume this to be true, then he must be S4. In both Case III and Case IV, Rohan is disguised as S1, who obtained the highest marks (148) in all the three subjects combined.

DIRECTIONS: Answer the questions on the basis of the information given below.

The following tables show the sales of five motorbike companies T.V.S., Bajaj, Kinetic, Honda and Hero Honda across various grades in India.
    Table - 1 gives the percentage breakup of the sales of the different grades of motorbikes across the different companies.
    Table - 2 gives the percentage breakup of the sales of motorbikes of the various companies across the different grades.

0_1488695433723_di095.png

(1) What is the ratio of motorbikes sold across the different grades in the order A, B, C, D and E?
    (a) 2 : 1 : 4 : 3 : 2
    (b) 2 : 1 : 3 : 2 : 4
    (c) 2 : 3 : 4 : 1 : 2
    (d) 2 : 4 : 1 : 3 : 1

(2) What is the number of motorbikes sold in Grade ‘B’ by Hero Honda?
    (a) 150
    (b) 200
    (c) 240
    (d) Cannot be determined

(3) In which grade is the total number of motorbikes sold equal to the total number of motorbikes sold by one of the given companies?
    (a) A
    (b) C
    (c) E
    (d) D

Solution:

(1) Option A
    Let’s compare the percentage breakup of Honda with the different grades.
    18% of the total sales of Honda is equal to 36% of the total sales of Grade A motorbikes.
    Let’s denote the total sales of Honda and Grade A motorbikes as H and A respectively.
    A=H/2
    Similarly,
    5% of Honda = 20% of B=> B = H/4
    35% of Honda = 35% of C=> C = H
    18% of Honda = 24% of D=> D = 3H/4
    24% of Honda = 48% of E=> E = H/2
    A : B : C : D : E = 2 : 1 : 4 : 3 : 2

(2) Option D
    Since only the percentage breakup is given, the number of motorbikes sold cannot be determined.

(3) Option B
    35% of Honda = 35% of C
    Hence, Motorbikes sold by Honda = Motorbikes sold in Grade C

Looks like your connection to MBAtious was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.