E.A.R.N - kNOw Human Trafficking - Shagun Srivastava, SCMHRD

• Content & PR team - MBAtious

Shagun Srivastava is a 1st year MBA student at SCMHRD (Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Developement). She graduated from Hindu College, University of Delhi where she was pursuing B.Sc(H) Mathematics. She loves writing about social issues and initiatives taken for the betterment of society.

For 16-year-old Jayanti, a girl from Kanjar tribe of Bhilwara, life was never the same after being sold to traffickers by her own family. After spending four abysmal months in a brothel in Nagpur, she was rescued by the police and is currently safely lodged in a Reform Centre.  Jayanti is counted among the lucky ones. Some do not survive the ordeal, some are lost in darkness and oblivion, never to be found again. The ones who make it past the murky world of human trafficking, more often than not lose a piece of their soul in the world they’ve left behind.

S.H.A.P.A.T.H. -The CSR cell of SCMHRD takes a pledge to stop human trafficking and to save an innocent soul like Jayanti from the trauma she faced. SCMHRD is the first college in India to have an exclusive cell for social responsibility. Started in 2008 by an enthusiastic group of students who wanted to contribute to that one thing that had helped them reach this far, the society. And hence S.H.A.P.A.T.H was formed. They conduct E.A.R.N., their flagship fundraising event annually in the month of August. They utilize the money they EARN during this period, to restore and rehabilitate human trafficking victims. Last year, these kids had a medical camp set up for the victims in association with Aditya Birla Group. Their reach and extent is growing each year!

How it happened?

Dr. Pratima Sheorey, Director, SCMHRD, Mrs. Shagun Thukral, Faculty In­Charge and MBA 2014­16 batch came up with the idea of E.A.R.N.-Enable All to Revive and Nurture, initiative of S.H.A.P.A.T.H. . The idea of E.A.R.N. was something that came at the right time and with the right people – all of it, very suddenly. They questioned the entire system of collecting donations from others, and just being a channel to donate the collected funds to the needy. Instead, these passionate individuals decided to work hard and EARN it. They decided to leverage the managerial skills of the entire batch of MBA students, to take out time from their extremely busy schedules, go out there and work for the cause. The year it commenced year was a huge success and received a resounding applause from all quarters. For the years gone by, E.A.R.N. has managed to come out with flying colors and attain their goal. This year E.A.R.N. wanted to double the impact! So, they've placed a staggering amount of 284 students across 45 stores in Pune with names like Harley Davidson, Mango, Lee, Tanishq, Apache, Arthur's Theme, Marrakesh, AIR, JoyBox, Baby Oye, McDonalds, Cafe Coffee Day, Pizza Hut!

Let's stand together and support this initiative. Fight for the cause and make it stronger. Let's not let this plague take over us.

My E.A.R.N Experience

After spending ten minutes staring at the fan take lazy twirls, I decided I had to get out of the warm quilt and start the day. The soft pitter patter of raindrops provided a soothing backdrop to the mundane morning routine. I put on the E.A.R.N T-shirt and bands and stepped out into the epicentre of activity and excitement. A sea of students, dressed in E.A.R.N colours were gathered near the atrium, infused with zeal and verve. Hundreds of S.H.A.P.A.T.H bands jingled in unison to say “kNOw Human Trafficking.” We were soon assigned buses according to the places we were supposed to visit, and soon we were on our way to make a little difference.

E.A. R.N - Enable All to Revive and Nurture is a noteworthy initiative undertaken by S.H. A.P.A.T.H , the CSR cell of SCMHRD to earn funds for the victims of human trafficking. We take pride in saying “We don’t ask for donations, we earn for our cause”. With this noble thought, I set out for Cantabil, Season's Mall, my assigned store for the day. The Manager Mr. Prashant greeted us pleasantly and quickly briefed us about our task for the day. He told us about the policies of Cantabil, ongoing schemes and about the various products offered. We were pumped up and eagerly waiting for our first customer to start with what was undoubtedly going to be an eventful day. Our first customer for the day soon graced the  doors of Cantabil. We showed him around, helped with the sizes and colours and were soon overjoyed to see him at the billing counter making purchase. Extremely happy with the store service, Mr. Kumar struck a conversation with us and was delighted to hear about E.A.R.N  and the noble cause it stands for. With the day starting with his heartfelt blessings, we happily juggled between managing customers, logistics, packaging and feedback.

People happily took selfies displaying E.A.R.N logos and bands and promised to extend support to our initiative.  The store staff also did their bit to promote our cause. We created awareness about the plight of human trafficking victims and the people took a moment to empathise and pledged help for their betterment.

With each customer dealing, I was adding a plethora of knowledge about consumer behaviour, response pattern, product placement, sales, stocking and pricing. It was an extremely enriching experience, an immensely satisfying one too.

Soon, the clock struck 8:30 and it was time to leave. On the way to the bus, I was struck anew by the magnitude and gravity of the cause we were associated with and felt a deep sense of satisfaction at being able to contribute towards the betterment of human trafficking victims. On reaching the bus, I saw a dozen smiling faces resting their heads against the bus windows, wrapped in a cocoon of satisfaction, reliving their eventful day and the lasting memories it had created.

Shagun Srivastava

Looks like your connection to MBAtious was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.