Stay Motivated - Roman Saini
Content & PR team - MBAtious
Roman Saini cracked his medical exams at 16 and went on to become a junior resident doctor at AIIMS. At 22, he cracked the civil services entrance exams to become an IAS officer. And now he is giving back to the community through his entrepreneurial endeavor, unacademy which makes UPSC learning available online for free. He is also a Professional Guitarist and you can visit his page for more details.
Firstly you have to understand one thing, Motivation is not magic. There is no shortcut to for motivation or to stay motivated and it is definitely not something that can be bought. Every motivational author, speaker, life coach has their own set of tips and to-do's to achieve and sustain motivation. If you just google the word motivation you'll be flooded with a gazillion links on how to stay motivated and all that BS and every article you read will have more or less the same points.
So what to do?
I'll list down here six points that have been thoroughly researched and proven to help people in achieving their goal and help them in staying motivated:
1. Set a goal - the trick here is to visualize the goal down to its most minute detail. Feel it, see it. Imagine the end result: when you clear your exam, marry the person you love, win in an Olympic race, get your dream job etc. This will help in establishing a connect with your goal.
2. Short-term goals - Start with simple short-term goals and then progress to longer range goals. Remember to make your goals realistic and achievable. It's easy to get frustrated and give up if your goals are too ambitious. Neuroscience tells us that each small success triggers the brain’s reward centre, releasing feel good chemical dopamine. This helps focus our concentration and motivates to take another similar step.
3. Track your progress - It's easy to get lost nowadays among all the temptations we have accumulated around us. The best way to stay on track is to keep up with your goals by maintaining weekly checkpoints. If you see that you are on track or even excelling every time you check your progress, you will be motivated and happy that you are getting there. If you see that you are lagging on your goals, it may be the reminder you need to help get you back on track.
4. Reward yourself- This can be anything you like. Just make sure that the rewards are such that they don't hinder your goal.
5. Don't be afraid of failure - Everyone falls short sometimes. If you fail to meet your goals for the week, don't get too emotional. Let yourself take it as a lesson. It's not always how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving. Don't dwell on failure, just accept it as a human occurrence, and continue working towards your goals.
6. Embrace solitude -
Don't be lonely. Be alone. If you can't stay happy alone, you are doomed for the rest of your life. You will be constantly dependent on others and since, each and every one of us is unique, the odds are that they will not share the same level of motivation with you. Don't be like a stray dog, always
In the end just remember this one thing: