Lessons from my life - Virali Modi

• Content & PR team - MBAtious

Virali modi is a Quora writer with more than 21 K followers. She inspires a lot of people everyday with her fresh thoughts and positive attitude. Virali suffered from respiratory and cardiac arrest and was even declared dead for 7 minutes. She spent 23 days in coma and when she was out of it, she was paralyzed neck down. Her optimism and  courage helped her to regain some muscle control. Virali is on wheelchair for 8 years now and she is very confident about her chances of a complete recovery. She is an aspiring model and want to pursue acting in the future.

When I was young, I had all these dreams and ambitions that I would be a doctor, I'd help people, and I'd listen to people. From a very young age, I was aware of child abuse, rape, murders, kidnappings, and even the malpractice cases by doctors. I was brought up in an environment which allowed me to pursue my dreams, without any pressure or force, as most kids feel in India.

When I became sick, I didn't know what happened to me. I was oblivious to the fact that I was paralzyed neck down. I didn't know that I couldn't feel anything. I know, you're probably thinking, "Virali, that's not possible! Your body knows you can't feel, hence you know!" You know what, my body knew that I couldn't feel, but my brain didn't know that.

This is something that's quite common with soliders who've lost their limbs in battle. It's like a sensation that you can feel or move your limbs, when you really can't. It's crazy! I don't know the exact term for it, but you can look it up.

My first day at physical therapy was when I realized how severe my situation was. I was paralyzed from the neck down, with no sensation. I was dependent. That hit me like a thousand bricks falling from the top of the Empire State building. I was independent, I never asked for help, I was strong-willed, and hard headed.

Honestly, I thought my life would be like this forever. It hurt, really bad, but I couldn't cry. Tears weren't ready to escape my eyes. I don't understand it to this day, but I couldn't cry.

My parents took me home after a couple weeks. I was like a dead body, who's breathing. I couldn't sit without support from both sides, I didn't know when I was hungry, or even when I had to go to the bathroom.

My parents worked on me though. My mom would get five different bowls and fill them with my favorite foods; she'd put them in front of me, in all directions, but out of my reach. She made me get them myself, without touching the bowls. I would fall forward, and with my weak arms, try to get a cookie out of the bowl. It would take me 20 minutes, I was so weak that my arms would get tired, really fast. My mom wouldn't cry though.

She was/is my motivation. She quit her job and dedicated all of her time to me. I was so weak that I couldn't pick up a pencil, now that's hard to believe. Still, my dad bought me colored Expo markers and a white board, my mom and I would play games on it. She re-taught me the alphabet. Because of my coma, I've lost a lot of memory and have long term memory loss, the doctors say that it's normal. I quickly regained a lot of important memory, such as mathematics, science, history, and English. I excelled at it, I was homeschooled that year, and I passed with flying colors.

My mom and dad taught me to never give up. My mom hasn't cried, not even when I was coma bound. I realized and understood her dedication and strength. I was inspired to be just like her, in every way possible.
    I read a lot of books about motivation, but to be honest, they never helped me. I saw a movie once though, it was about a guy who became paralyzed due to an airplane crash, he said something really important in that movie. He said that someone in a similar condition should pick a goal, and follow that goal; do everything and anything to achieve it.

I picked a goal, my goal was to walk. That wasn't achievable yet, I had a long way to go. I picked a smaller goal; I wanted to be able to sit without support and without falling over. It took a long time for that to happen, but I kept practising. I never gave up. I truly believe/d that hard work will eventually pay off. My parents helped me and so did the physical therapists.

I kept making small goals, I've accomplished them, but my ultimate goal is still pending, which is my goal now. I've recovered quite a lot, and I have the will power to recover more and eventually start walking. It doesn't matter if it'll take a couple day, weeks, months, or years — it's something that I want, I'll achieve it.

The moral of this post is to make a long term goal. Along side of that make smaller goals to achieve that long term one. You'll eventually achieve your long term goal, especially with a lot of insight, belief, and hardwork. Even if you don't have encouragement from your family and friends, encourage yourself. You'll find the reason and motivation to continue.

My parents and strangers supported me a lot, my family never did. I can say that the experiences that I've had, have made me a stronger and more focused person. Along with that, my positive attitude has really helped me go this far. I've also accomplished a lot of things while being wheelchair bound, which encourage me more! I think to myself, "If I can accomplish this much on a wheelchair, I can accomplish anything I want when I'm walking."

I haven't given up hope because I wasn't like this before. I was strong, independent, opinionated, and mannered; that's what I achieve to be.

I became what I wanted to be, personally, someone who helps others, someone who knows and understands the difficulty in life, and someone who's as happy as a blue bird chirping in the morning.

Always look at the brighter side of things, even if it seems as if there isn't a bright side. Think positively, and you'll find it. Thing negatively, then cotton candy will taste bitter, that's how I percieve life and how I wish to live it. It's made me stronger, motivated, and happier.

Looks like your connection to MBAtious was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.