Exhilarating journey of a TISSian - What makes TISS special

• Campus Connect

Being fascinated with psychology and human behaviour in general, HRM seemed to be the field where I could unleash my true potential.

TISS being one of the best institutes for HR was therefore the dream destination for me. Hence, I was overjoyed on getting an admission offer from TISS.
    Experiencing an array of emotions, the journey began with a comprehensive three day Induction Programme. It was a wonderful experience to have a peep into the happenings which were to unfold during two years in this prestigious Institute. It was very essential for our acclimatisation and for transforming us into TISSians.

We got a hang of what TISS was about, beyond just a b-school, a place which not only makes you a competent HR professional but also a socially responsible human being. Few days into the course made it clear that it was going to be one challenging yet exciting journey. The curriculum and the teaching methodology adopted are one of its kind.

“ By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is the noblest; Second, by imitation, which is the easiest; and Third, by experience, which is the bitterest.”
    And you are steered and guided to follow the third path in TISS- learn though experience. That’s the USP of TISS, which makes its curriculum unique. Unlike other B-Schools, here you are supposed to undergo Fieldwork Internship during all the four semesters. Besides, there is a Summer Internship & one NGO stint. This extensive exposure to industry and familiarises the student with the actual work situations.

Being a fresher , my first field work and the second fieldwork (ongoing) provided me much needed exposure to industry, where I could learn a lot about labour issues and unions.

Some of the most cherished memories of the first semester have been -attending the talk by H.H. Dalai Lama and bumping into Ms Arundhati Bhattacharya.

We had a number of industry leaders visiting TISS and giving guest lectures. These enriching sessions have been extremely value adding and TISS being located in Mumbai makes these events quite frequent.

Although the rigours of countless assignments, committee work and quizzes, fieldwork journals were there, we still found out time to party hard, participate in various cultural events on campus and live it up. After the hectic classes, we would feel rejuvenated looking at the lush green environs. Adding to the charm of the campus were plethora of activities being organised. You had cultural events, “melas” and other such small scale flea markets in association with NGOs being organised from time to time.

TISS was conceived as an institution of excellence to cater to the educational needs in the field of social sciences in the beginning of last century. It has grown over the years from strength to strength, covering divergent subjects. Today, the institute keeps its vision alive through its extensive teaching, research, policy support, and field action programmes.

TISS is the epitome of diversity and inclusion .There is a sense of belongingness which I witnessed every day, in the six months on campus. We are like one big family.

The liberal and congenial atmosphere, guidance of outstanding faculty, help from friendly seniors & peers, superb curriculum, innovative methodology, lot of industry exposure, case study competitions, interaction with professionals & industry veterans and ample opportunity to nurture your hidden talent are some of the peculiarities of this great institution, I experienced during my short stay here.

I am sure I would come out after two years as a well equipped and charged HR Enthusiast ready to plunge into the industry waters.

About the Author:

0_1514091391864_Vibhuti Raina.JPG

Vibhuti Raina is pursuing her Masters in Human Resources Management and Labour Relations at Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. She is an engineering graduate, an avid reader with an insatiable appetite for Sufi music.

Looks like your connection to MBAtious was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.